Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Developing Websites

Well, since I'm handling The Product's™ webpage, it's my job to make sure it looks/works fine in most browsers.

Sadly however, it never seems to be the case. Many a time have I cursed the programmers of IE and wished I could take an M16 and stormed Richmond.

A webpage update cycle would be something like this, R designs the website L&F (Look and Feel), slices them up in good ol' Photoshop and ships them over to me. I add in all the logic and jazz that makes the website tick. Many a time, these "jazz" thingies cause things to go screwy.

*peer at website in FF* Hm looks good, font sizes are ok, table cells are fine. *fires up IE in VMware* argh!! *faints*

As GPB can attest, by his work of art - Bear out of Cage (or is he? View in IE and FF to see the difference!), web development is shitty. Browsers all render pages in their own quirky way. Code which works on browser A doesn't work on browser B. Formatting which looks good on A looks like crap on B.

Also, in testing the website, I decided to install Netscape 8.1 (well it's on the VMware, not like it's going to taint my machine). The first impression of Netscape's home page was how shitty it was. To me, it looked totally cluttered and too texty, and surprisingly, the browser wasn't at the forefront of the page (unlike Firefox). Installation took ages (when compared to installing Firefox), and when I fired it up, I was surprised to see a splash screen. Wth? Browsers need a splash screen? To me, the time a browser needs to load should be too short for the need of a splash screen.

So anyways, after staring at the splash screen for a bit, Netscape 8.1 finally chugged open. I haven't used Netscape since the Browser War Era™ and the first impression I had was omg it's so cluttered looking. Well, it could have been the skin I chose, for I chose the "newer" looking one (which wasn't the standard template), but still, it looked so cluttered. Buttons and text everywhere.

Since I was going to test Java on it, I ignored all the ugly stuff and navigated to the website. Initially, I thought since Netscape was based on Mozilla (well, the dialogue boxes looked totally the same too -_-), it should be able to handle Firefox-like XPIs. Sadly, that wasn't true. Stupefied, I even took a gander at Java's website on it, and it too, failed to install the Java plugin for Netscape. The "Search for plugins" feature didn't work either. GG Netscape.

On a rather unrelated, but still somewhat relevant note, I was working on the website the other day, adding cookies and stuff, and was printing out an alert in javascript to find out if my code was working. It's a simple alert, it just goes alert(some state) which hopefully renders to true. When I tested it out in IE7, I had a shock (come to think of it, should I be shocked at anything about IE?).




Zomfg. Wth? Why does it render a simple alert box into such a hideous looking dialogue box? And this is IE7 on Vista, supposedly snazzy and leet with their uber Aero interface.
In contrast, let us look at Exhibit B, an alert from IE6 on XP, well granted this screenshot is taken from my home machine which has skinned XP to look like OSX >:D


Still, if you may observe the dimensions of the box, and the size of the warning icon. It is so much in proportion compared to the one from Vista. Seriously, who designed that crap?

... That's all for this episode. Stay tuned for more adventures in .. Developing Websites™ ... *da da dum*

2 comments: