Wednesday, June 04, 2014

Crocheting craze - A book!

I've just started learning how to crochet, and been doing a bunch of arugami. They are just so cute!!! Yet useless. Heh.

Came across this pattern on Ravelry, and I guess it can be more useful than most...: http://craftyiscool.blogspot.sg/2011/08/first-friday-free-pattern-and-big.html

Basic instructions:
Key:
ch: chain
sc: single crochet
sl st: slip stitch
FLO: crochet into front loops only
BLO: crochet into back loops only

Book Cover:
R1: With E hook and yarn, ch 15. Sc into 2nd ch from hook and next 13 ch (14)
R2-13: Ch 1, turn. Sc into next 14 st (14)
R14: Ch 1, turn. Sc into FLO of each st (14)
R15: Ch 1, turn. Sc into BLO of each st (14)
R16-27: Ch 1, turn. Sc into both loops of each st (14)
* You will now crochet along the outside of the book cover to make a clean rounded edge.
R28: Work 2 more sc into the last st of 27, turning. Sc into next 26 st along edge, work 3 sc into last st, turning. Sc into next 13 st along edge, work 3 sc into last st, turning. Sc into next 26 st along edge, work 3 sc into last st, turn. Sl st into next 12 st, fastening off at last st. Weave in ends.

For the rest, and more professional looking pictures, please take a look at her blog.




This little book took me about 3 hours I think. Wasn't really timing it. I flubbed up on the inner cover and pages though. Should have measured it out more before cutting. Or maybe I just suck for cutting stuff. Heh.

The creator stitched messages into the pages, but I'm not sure how to do it while keeping the knots and stuff hidden though.

Initially I wanted to glue a magnet inbetween the cover and the lining, but unfortunately I couldn't find a magnet at all. Where do they sell these things???

So now I'm thinking of just sewing a safety pin along the spine. At least it'll be somewhat useful for the recipient as a decorative object!

Still, all in all, very simple! Thinking of doing it again for my friend's wedding. A white book this time... and afterwards, a red book! Like Mao's little red book. Hehe.

No comments:

Post a Comment