Saturday, June 02, 2007

Servers and more servers

So today, BU shipped off an email instructing me to set up the new Server for The Product™. Egad, setting up yet another server.. So after lunch, I switch into server admin mode and start opening up my ssh connections to Astartes, the new server (I named her! ^^)

Whenever I go into "install" mode, I go into super multi threaded mode. Like when I finish installing XP on Resurrection and start installing drivers and software. Internally I immediately start to pipeline the entire process.

Graphics card? Check. Ok while installing that I'll install Winzip. While installing that I'll install WinRAR too.

Ok graphics card is done, install sound card. Install Java in the meantime too .. etc etc

Same goes for Linux servers. Redhat is my least liked distro, but it is my most used one -_-; After installing three servers with the same information, (well did 2 others in my old job but blah) I've come to the conclusion that all Linuxes are different beasts -_-

The first thing I do on Astartes is to check out the Apache (httpd) version. Hmm 2.0.54, *checks Gimli (the current server)* Ok. same version, Gimli's one is a tar.gz install though .. *thinks* .. well RPMs are fine I guess.. I'll just keep the 2.0.54 RPM.

*typeity type*
MySQL 4!? Wth.. *google* Ah, MySQL 5 rpm.
*typeity type* wget ....
Ok while that's downloading..
I need Tomcat ...
Oh I need stuff from Gimli too ... *typeity type*
*typeity type*
.. Damn php 4!? .. /sigh.. *googles for php*

Ok, need to configure httpd... Ok where the hell is httpd.conf. Nothing a locate can't accomplish.
Whoa.. wth. So many things inside this configuration file. Okay.. I'll just follow my little ol' documentation here.

Hmm .. I need jk_mod. Fine .. *google* Blah, no updated binaries. *downloads source*
./configure --with-apxs
It appeals to my inner geek somehow when I see text from ./configure to flying past the screen. True, no one can read what it's saying at that speed, but still it looks cool.

Finally installed and configured everything. All right, JKMounted the appropriate directories. Httpd should forward these requests to tomcat...

*opens the page in FF*
403.

.. Wth??

*peers at config*
Looks right ..
*types in direct url*
Page renders.
.. -_-;

After spending fruitless hours trying to figure why Apache wasn't forwarding the correct directory to Tomcat... I decided, screw it. Lemme just get a tgz version. Downloaded Apache 2.2 tgz and installed, copied the conf file from Gimli.. compiled the plugins .. and it worked like a charm -_-

DOWN WITH RPMS!
-_-

Bah. Well this post seems rather fragmented and techy .. heh. It happens when I install servers <_< nothing more exciting than seeing your scp file list.

Still need to set up cron jobs on monday .. zzzz
Actually I can do that now .. hmm ... guess will do it tomorrow.. If I remember the IP, heh.

1 comment: